Trainee Program J-1 Visa 

The Trainee Program J-1 Visa represents a distinctive opportunity to young professionals all over the world to visit the United States to both advance their skills and enjoy USA’s life and culture.

Trainee Program J-1 Visa

How a rocket scientist made it to the USA with a Trainee Program J-1 Visa

Ravi Gurunath was already a star within the Indian Space Research Organization at age 32. He had shown not just a superb grasp of space science and rocket technology but also displayed sterling leadership qualities. But Ravi knew he needed more. Every time he read some news about the International Space Station or the Mars Orbiter from NASA, he knew he needed to learn more about rocket science. And which country better suited for it than the United States? But how would he find an aerospace organization willing to train him?

It was by pure chance that a visiting professor from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, learning about Ravi’s interest, mentioned that there might be a way for him to get higher training in his field in the US through something called the Exchange Visitor Program (EVP). And that is how Ravi learned about the amazing Trainee Program and its Trainee Program J-1 Visa, which allowed students and professionals to experience US life and culture while meeting their academic or professional goals.

He paid a visit to a friendly travel agent for some US Immigration advice. Yes, the Trainee Program was designed specifically for people who wanted further training in a chosen field — and yes, he was certainly more than eligible.  

As he dug deeper, Ravi learned that under the EVP’s Training Program Under the Trainee Program, a non-American professional like himself could enter the United States to get upgraded through a training program in his or her area of expertise. Depending on the nature of training, he could be in the United States for anything from 12 to 18 months, though once the training ended, he would be expected to return to his home country to apply what he had learnt.

Like all programs in the EVP, this visa requires acceptance by an approved sponsor agency or company. It also requires a prior confirmation of employment as a trainee with a US company. The good news was that the sponsoring agency would normally help secure this once they had accepted him.

To make the work easier, though, a complete list of approved sponsor organizations for the EVP Trainee Program is available online to get you started.

You can get more information on how to apply for Trainee Program J-1 Visa, including how to find the best sponsors, from the detailed, user-friendly visa guides you get when you buy one of our Visa Plans.

And remember, when buying one of our Visa Plans, you will get full access to our easy-to-follow step-by-step guide on how to apply by yourself. Should you need professional advice from an immigration lawyer, you will also get access to some of the best immigration lawyers in the United States selected by our Immigration team. We have handpicked all the immigration lawyers on our list to ensure they are qualified and charge a fair price for their immigration service and advice.   

If you have questions or would like clarifications, please send us an email and we’ll do our best to get back to you within 24 hours with an answer.